Monday, March 5, 2012

Cheap and Easy (not just a "that's what she said" joke)

As the afternoon wanes on, I am taking a break from my reading (*wink*wink*) and starting to get my dinner ready for the evening. As a student, I am usually way too tired to do elaborate cooking on a school night. And truth be told...I am a sketchy cook (as in no mad skillz)! So, here comes a recipe from my earlier days of learning how to cook (believe it or not, I have progressed from here). I like how easy and inexpensive it is to make. It makes up a big batch so you will have plenty of left overs. In fact, I freeze about half of the soup and thaw it out and eat it when I need a quick meal. AND SO, without further adieu...I bring you....drum roll, please......taco soup!!! I know a certain blog follower of ours (ok, we have two at this point) is rolling his eyes right now. Anywho....on to the recipe. Mmmmmm HMmmmmm...

Taco Soup:
Meat of your choice *please see note below
15 oz. can of kidney beans
15 oz. can of tomato sauce
15 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
1 pk taco seasoning
2 cans of corn (I use the unsweetened variety)
1 clove of garlic-minced
1/2 TBS onion powder
1 1/2 cups of water

Combine all ingredients, simmer 20-30 minutes. Bazinga!

* The original recipe calls for 2 cups of soy meat. I personally do not eat soy due to my fear of growing "moobies" AKA man boobies. But you can use whatever type of meat you have, like ground beef, lean ground turkey, shredded chicken, no meat-more veggies. What ev's!

I also like to jazz this one up by adding cumin and green chilies. When I'm feeling super wild and crazy, I'll add some shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and crumbled up tortilla chips on top. Play around with it!!
A-

No comments:

Post a Comment