Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day!


Sara, age 14
St. Patrick’s day is one of my favorite holidays. You see growing up I was a competitive Irish step dancer which means that you are required to like St Patrick’s day also you’re required to dance a jig whenever someone asks. Ok, maybe I made all that up but I still loved the day as a kid. Even now after sixteen (going on seventeen) years of St Patrick’s days under my belt, I still happily celebrate being Irish.  So I thought I would share a few photos from my dancing years.


I'm in the pink dress, 2nd from the right.

           It’s crazy how much dance has changed over the years, when I started dancing Riverdance was just becoming popular and looking back I can completely see how Riverdance influenced so much of my childhood. I remember taking the whole day off school to be in shows and the parade, and usually the whole week surrounding St Patrick’s day was filled with performances in the evenings. I even quit the volleyball team in seventh grade because too many of the games and practices were conflicting with dance (it wasn't that heartbreaking, our team was terrible and I was like 4’9). 

We are all wearing wigs. Having curly hair is part of the traditional costumes. Dress styles have changed a lot since I started and continue to change. Back then dresses were simple with no sparkle and you curled your own hair.


Nowadays, the dancers only have a few shows for the whole week but I still see all the excitement of getting to perform on their faces. I find myself watching them dance now and getting nostalgic for my dancing years. Anyways, I could go on for hours with all kinds of funny Irish dance stories but I spare you the read.

This is a photo of some of the senior (in black) and junior dancers (in purple). Today, those junior girls are the senior dancers now. oh, where did the time go?

I hope everyone has a wonderful day, drink a Guinness or two and don't forget to wear green! -S

No comments:

Post a Comment