Saturday, May 5, 2012

"Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?", Frida Kahlo

Although this post has NOTHING to do with the Battle of Puebla in 1862, today I thought I would pay homage to one of my favorite icons from Mexican history. My whole family is from a town located on the border of Mexico. I have always been drawn to Mexican folklore, culture, music, and FOOD!! When I had a chance to take an art history class on 20th Century Mexican Art, I jumped at it just to learn more about my favorite Mexican painter, Frida Kahlo. Now, there is TONS of literature, pop-culture references, and even a movie (staring Salma Hayek) out about Frida...so I won't bore you with the details (but, you can go here to find out more info. if you want).





It has always fascinated me how her personal tragedies came out on her canvas with absolutely no filter. Here are a few of her works (oh, and I've spared you some of the more "tragic" paintings in case you are just waking up, having a cup of coffee and cruising blogs. But they are fascinating too none the less!):



Self Portrait as a Tehuana

The Little Deer
The Broken Column

Self Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird
Itzcuintli Dog with Me (hmmm...I wonder if I can get my little dog to pose with me like this!?)
Self Portrait with Cropped Hair



         

                     It is interesting to see how Frida has influenced fashion as well:



Vogue Mexico












Vogue Germany








all three above Marie Claire Italia
                                                                     

Elle Canada
Carolina Herrera


              Oh, Frida....if only I was more brave, I would start growing a unibrow immediately!



Just curious....do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo (or Mexican painters for that matter)?
A-

2 comments:

  1. I love Frida! She is one of my heroes! Her paintings are so fascinating and visceral. Thanks for posting the fashion photos, too- that Elle Canada one is beautiful!
    --TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...and she as a person is even more intriguing than her paintings! I think you should totally do one of her paintings as your next art/styling challenges. I would love to see it!! Oh, that Elle Canada shoot is stunning. There are 3-4 more photos that go with that one. I like it because they use a curvier AKA a normal size woman in the shots! ;) Hope you are enjoying your weekend!!-Amanda

      Delete