Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Tourist In My Own Town

So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and admit that I love to do totally cheesey things when I'm on vacation (uh, hope I'm not alone here!). Like....

                                                      Attending a Dog Surfing Competition:






Or, going on a ghost and graveyard tour via trolley (side note: I felt *uber* cool when we rolled into the hip part of town in this thing! LOL!):






So, yesterday when my girlfriend and I were bored with walking around Pike's Place Market we decided to head up towards Westlake Center. That's when we saw it (or, more like heard them blaring the song,"Who Let the Dogs Out?")........THE DUCK!

 


The Duck is a WWII amphibious landing craft that drives around downtown and then into the waters of Lake Union. I've lived here awhile and have kinda secretly wanted to try it, but have also secretly kinda mocked it.

 
View from inside of PF Changs

Well, one sunglasses (*-please see Sara's post on Seattleites and their sunglasses) purchase later...we were officially crewmates of The Duck.



Our Captain: Bjorn Toorun




The Space Needle painted orange to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the 1962 World's Fair

The weather started getting rough! Oh, no...I'm starting to get Gilligan's Island flashbacks!


Wwwweeee...it was fun to let your hair go wild and free

We actually had a great time and I'm glad that I took the risk of embarrassment and decided to be a cheesey tourist in my own town!

Do you ever tour your own town?
A-

Oh, and since this is mostly a thrifted fashion blog:
Thrifted: Black Blazer (Nordstroms) and Jeans (DKNY)

(photo credit of the first picture of The Duck: Jean Sherrard)

10 comments:

  1. You rode the duck!!! I've never done that before! Was the dog surfing competition on Alki? I really want to go next time! Looks like a fun weekend!
    --TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually pretty fun once you got passed the humiliation and actually waved back at passerbys! No, unfortunately the dog surfing competition was in the San Diego area. There is an amazing off leash dog beach there (I think it's actually called Dog Beach). It was so funny to see big Labs and tiny Chihuahua's all frolicking in the waves! :) Amanda

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi, Helena! Thanks so much for stopping by and for the nice comment. I took a look at your blog....I think I would MUCH rather be in Monaco than riding The Duck around. LOL! Stunning photos on your blog. Have a great day! Amanda

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, that dog surfing competition looks awesome! Sometimes I wonder if my dogs could do hidden talents like that or ride a skateboard, hehe.

    -Sharon
    Enter to win a clutch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun, Sharon. And funny too because little dogs were joining in too. I hear 'ya...so far my pups are just free loading. They need some skills! LOL! Oh, and I entered your giveaway. Thanks for hosting it! :) Amanda

      Delete
  4. i see those duck tourist buses all the time in boston. it's good to take a moment to enjoy your town once in a while... i lived in manhattan for many years and i think the first time i've been up to the empire state building was like... 10 years i started living there, lol!

    love the pic of you with the wind blowing in your hair. :)



    xoxo
    jasmine
    AdamAlexMommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I with you, Jasmine. There is tons of stuff here that I have NEVER even done. It was great to feel like I was on vacation (at least for the day!). Still need to make it up to the Empire State, myself. I bet the view was amazing! Have a great day! Amanda

      Delete
  5. lol..i'm just seeing this now - between a crazy week and my dead laptop..it's been a bit hard keepin up with times o_0

    anyway that Surf Dog Surf a thon looks totally adorable!

    Living in NYC there's always tons to do but funny I've never done much of the touristy stuff..my friends always laugh at me cuz I wanna go on one of those tourist buses.. I personally think it would be stinkin awesome, lol

    hope you girls are well!
    xo,
    annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you should definitely ride the tourist bus! We ended up having a great time on our tour and learned stuff that we actually didn't know. :) Amanda

      Delete