Thursday, May 10, 2012

Um, me=awkward

So, I have this problem....I am perpetually early. No matter where I'm going or for what purpose. I can't stand that sinking feeling and stress of running late. So that leaves me a good 40 minutes early every morning to where I need to be. This morning, I stopped and got a coffee and decided to catch up on some blog reading for the 40 minutes I had to kill in the car. Today, I caught one blog post that I could totally relate to! Sara introduced me to the blog, "Off Broadway". The author, Amanda, posted about buying something at a thrift store and having the cashier mention that the sweater Amanda was purchasing once belonged to the cashier (wow, following along?). It made me giggle a little on the inside because I too had that experience once!

As a vintage clothes lover, there are a few ritzy thrift stores that I like to hit that are the dumping grounds for what I would call "granny chic" clothes. One particular day, I found this great leather handbag from Italy. I went to go pay for it and the matronly cashier also let me know that it was hers and that she just brought it in. I'm sure there were a million things that I could have said, and the handbag probably has some grand story behind it that could have been passed down to me.....but it completely caught me off guard. Usually I prefer not to know who the previous owners of my thrifted clothes are! I'm pretty certain that I just blurted out some random reply (um, which is starting to sound like being perpetually early is not my only problem!) Have you ever had this happen too (purchasing the cashier's clothes...not the socially awkward part!)?


Thrifted: One granny's rust colored leather handbag with gold plated accents (I. Magnin, made in Italy).

If you're reading this granny, you have great taste, but I'm not giving the handbag back! ;)
A-





                                                                                
(photos via: myvintagevogue.com)

7 comments:

  1. I read that post, too! It hasn't happened to me yet, though! I can't believe you're always early, I think that's great. I'm usually two minutes late, but you're right, it's stressful!
    --TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as you like to thrift too, it's bound to happen! Be ready for it! That's like when I go into Forever 21, I always get my story straight that I am there to shop for a "present" when they realize that I am not a teenager! ;) -Amanda

      Delete
  2. I'm always early and love granny clothes, too. Awkward.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't experienced something like that either and I think it's kind of strange because you actually didn't need that information about the previous owner.. at least in my opinion :P but hey, the bag looks pretty royal and you got a wonderful piece after all! ;)

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...yeah, probably a good thing that that situation doesn't happen to often. I try to block out thinking about who used to own my thrifted items. If I think about it too much, I'll end up giving myself the willies! :) Amanda

      Delete
  4. Haha, that's so funny! I haven't had that experience yet. Either way it was an awesome find!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I guess it's not that different than buying something from someone at a garage sale. But, I prefer to be in denial that my thrifted goodies ever had previous owners. Might creep me WAY too out if I think too much about it! :) Amanda

      Delete