Monday, June 11, 2012

Keep It Simple, Keep It Smart....

...........and always Keep It Semi-Homemade! Ha, just kidding.....just channeling my inner Sandra Lee.

But what I'm not kidding about is my love of homemade thrifted dresses. Recently, I thrifted this great homemade dress. For some reason, I find that I am drawn to homemade dresses when I am scouring the thrift store racks. Maybe it's the unique fabrics or attention to detail that suck me in? But, it is always interesting for me to think about the fact that someone went to the trouble to pick out a special fabric and put the time and effort into making a unique dress. And then, I always wonder....why would they give it away? Maybe it's time for me to get some hobbies so that I don't worry about thrifted homemade dresses so much!

I love the simplicity of this almost completely thirfted outfit (minus the bracelets and ring). And the fact that someone took the time to put pockets in the dress (I don't sew. Is it really that much effort to add pockets? Oh, well at least it impressed me!).


I thrifted this necklace in October in the Halloween section. It's probably part of someone's costume, but I LOVE this necklace and wear it all year round.



And how amazing are these thrifted orange suede platforms? Who cares if I can barely walk in them....what's a twisted ankle here and there for fashion? ;)

Thrifted: Dress (homemeade), Necklace (I'm convinced it's part of some little kid's Harry Potter costume!), Suede Platforms (Nine West)
Misc.: Bracelet (Lucky Brand), Ring (Gifted)
Lip Gloss: Bare Escentuals-Buxom Lips-Destiny

Just curious, do you like to sew? Do you like homemade thrifted items? 
A-

10 comments:

  1. Love the print of this thrifted dress!!!! And I love how you pair it with a pair of red shoes, creates such a contrast <3

    ang-closet365.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ang! Wasn't it great to get some sunshine yesterday? It's back to cloudy again in Seattle today. Bluh! :) Amanda

      Delete
  2. You look great! I love that practically this whole outfit was thrifted! Wow! I never thought about looking for handmade dresses in thrift store before, but I will now!
    --TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Keep your eyes on the look out....there seem to be a lot of them floating around out there (hope that doesn't mean that someone's missing their clothes some where out there!) ;) Amanda

      Delete
  3. I don't sew since I really don't have time for that but my grandmother (I'll show a skirt made by her in my next post ;) sometimes does and of course I like homemade thrifted and non-thrifted items. and I have to say your necklace makes a really good combo with that dress. your red wedges are just wonderful :P

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maiken! I really wish that I knew how to. No time here either. Can't wait to see your post. :) Amanda

      Delete
  4. LOL..that sandra lee line cracked me up!! and yes, you look adorable! love the dress and you are totally rockin those platforms :-)
    xo,
    annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! I should make sure my health insurance covers platform use. I can't say that I am the most graceful in them yet! ;) Amanda

      Delete
  5. love this outfit!!! great color combo... and those shoes are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine! They are the most expensive thrifted shoes that I have ever purchased. But they are soooooo worth it! :) Amanda

      Delete