Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"Are You Very Flora Kung?"

Most times when thrifting, I just pick out a piece because I really like it, regardless of the label. And truth be told, I don't know everything out there that there is to know about designers, I just like what I like and go from there.  After doing yesterday's post on my thrifted 80's silk dress, I decided to investigate a little further and asked myself, "Self, who is this magical Flora Kung?"


Flora Kung is an American fashion designer that attended Parson's School of Design in New York. She started her label at the age of 21 and became one of the hottest Young Designer labels.

Flora sold her pieces in her own "shop" in stores such as Saks Fifth Ave, Neiman Marcus, and Harrods.

Upscale vibrant prints were her trademark in the 1980's. The saying "Very Flora Kung" was used to describe colors and prints that mimicked her style.

Flora retired from fashion in her 30's and moved to Paris to start a family.  She has now picked up her paintbrush again to create her signature trendsetting prints and currently has a line of silk jersey items that are being sold in a few boutiques.


(I summarized this information from the Flora Kung website, if interested please click the link to read more)





And here are a few ways to incorporate Flora pieces today:

 
 love how this Flora jacket is styled. From here

cute retro Flora. From here

More vintage Flora having fun (on the right). From here


Apparently, I am very Flora Kung!? Do you like to wear prints too?
A-

(additional photos credits:florakung.com, stylestories.us)

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Helena! Hope you are doing well! :) Amanda

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! Great blog you have....always love a duet! Have a great day! :) Amanda

      Delete
  3. FLORAL PRINTS LOOK BEAUTIFUL ALWAYS <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think so too, Rakhshanda! And no one loves a floral print more than Sara. Ha! :) Amanda

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Me too! I'm now slightly obsessed with her dresses. Might have to scour EBay for another one! Thanks for stopping by! :) Amanda

      Delete
  5. LookingforgoodstuffJune 7, 2015 at 10:58 AM

    Love love FLORA KUNG whenever I can find her designs! Where is she now and will she design a new line again?

    ReplyDelete