Friday, April 4, 2014

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Amanda and I started this journey together two years ago as a way to escape our all consuming physical therapist assistant school world. A place where function was more important than fashion; where safety, rules and reason dictated every action because this is healthcare and other peoples' lives were in our hands. But we were two creative souls who hated our khaki pants and longed for a reason to wear red lipstick and blousy tops from the 70's. This blog became our platform to talk about life beyond the textbooks. We got to step outside our academic bubble to be the selves that got to paint their nails, wear high heels and talk endlessly about the things we loved. And for a while it was really fun but things changed.
 Life took over, we graduated, Amanda moved to California and making time for the blog just got harder to do. I did my best to stay in it but it just wasn't the same without Amanda's regular presence on the blog. Last spring, I revamped the site to breath some new life in but it wasn't enough. I found posting to be more of a chore than a joy. I started to second guess myself and questioned whether I had anything interesting to say. My life just didn't feel exciting enough to blog about so I wrote just to fill a page. I love the blog world and still really wanted to be apart of it so I kept posting, kept hoping that it would get better. That I would feel that connection between me and the readers again but it was gone. Around Christmas after another failed attempt to blog consistently, I stopped trying. I figured I was better as a reader than as a blogger so it all went silent: the blog, twitter, instagram and even pinterest. It was nice not feeling guilty about not posting or worrying whether my outfit was good enough because I wasn't photographing it so what did it matter. There was a freedom in no longer comparing myself and my site against other people. I wasn't trapped in my own self inflicted spinal of doubt anymore. Yet, I missed it too. From time to time I would check the traffic stats and read comments.
 I got busy with work, other projects like my etsy shop and even started going to the gym more. But in the back of my mind, I was still thinking about the blog. Should I delete it? Keep it? or just let it fade away? None of those choices seemed right. I didn't want to delete all time and work that went into the site but I just couldn't let it fade away either. Though the blog as it stands right now felt forced and fake. I wasn't having fun anymore and it showed. So after lots of thinking, I have decided to make some changes to the blog. It will still be called The Blonde Squad, it's still a life and style blog, I'll still thrift and show my style (just not as much). I want to focus on my creativity. I want to share more DIY's and the projects that I've been working on. I want the heart of the blog to be about what I'm doing as the creative person. So thanks for sticking with me and reading this super long post. I hope you come back and check up on my little blog as I move forward.

-S


2 comments:

  1. I definitely understand what you're saying here because I have felt the same way. but yes, at the same time it would be stupid to throw it all away because of some difficult times. I'm not a quitter and so aren't you! so I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store for your readers! good luck!

    Maiken,
    Maikeni blogi - part of me

    ReplyDelete